Recipe: Pear and chocolate free-form tart
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 185g butter, chilled, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chilled water
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts
- 6 beurre bosc pears, peeled, cored, cut into thin wedges
- 150g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine flour and butter in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add chilled water. Process until mixture almost comes together, adding more water if required. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently until smooth.
- Place dough between 2 sheets baking paper. Roll out to form a 40cm round. Place on a greased baking tray. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Combine caster sugar and hazelnuts in a small bowl. Sprinkle over pastry. Top with pear and chocolate, leaving a 3cm border. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Fold and pleat pastry edge over filling. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cut into wedges. Serve warm with ice-cream.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)