Recipe: Thai beef salad (gluten-free)
- 400g piece eye fillet
- 2 tbs crushed black peppercorns
- 1 tsp five-spice powder
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 100g rice vermicelli
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lime juice
- 1/4 cup (60ml) fish sauce
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, cut into long strips
- 150g packet mixed Asian greens
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, cut into batons Thai basil leaves and chopped peanuts, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Pat beef dry with paper towel. Combine peppercorns and five-spice and press onto beef. Heat oil in a frypan over high heat, then sear beef all over. Place on a baking tray in the oven for 6 minutes. Set aside to rest – the meat will be very rare.
- Soak the vermicelli in boiling water for 2 minutes, then drain, refresh with cold water and drain again. Divide between 4 serving bowls.
- In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, lime juice, fish sauce and chilli.
- Wash and dry greens, then pile them onto noodles with cucumber. Thinly slice beef and place on greens. Drizzle with dressing. Top with basil and peanuts.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: Thai