Recipe: Turkey & ham free-form pie
- 30g unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (60ml) dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (125ml) thickened cream
- 2 cups (320g) chopped cooked turkey
- 1/2 cup (90g) chopped leg ham
- 10g dried porcini mushrooms (see note), soaked in boiling water for 10 minutes, chopped
- 2 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbs chopped chives
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 375g block frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Cranberry sauce, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute or until mixture bubbles.
- Add chicken stock and wine, then cook for a further 2-3 minutes, whisking to remove any lumps.
- Add the thickened cream and cook for a further minute or until the mixture boils and thickens. Season to taste, then stir in the turkey, ham, chopped porcini, parsley, chives and spring onion. Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to form a 30cm x 33cm rectangle. Cut in half lengthways to give two 15cm-wide pieces. Place one pastry sheet on the lined baking tray and spread with the cooled turkey mixture, leaving a 2cm border.
- Fold remaining sheet of pastry in half lengthways and use a sharp knife to make cuts in the folded side, about 1cm apart and leaving a 2cm border on the unfolded side. Carefully open the pastry back out and place over the filling, pressing the edges to seal.
- Trim the edges if necessary, then brush all over with the beaten egg. Bake the pie for 25-30 minutes until puffed and golden. Slice the pie and serve with cranberry sauce.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)