Recipe: Wheat & dairy-free energy slice
- 120g (3 cups) rice and oatbran bubbles (Lowan Whole Foods brand)
- 200g finely chopped mixed dried fruit of choice (like sultanas, peaches, apples and apricots)
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 55g (1/3 cup) rice flour
- 35g (1/3 cup) desiccated coconut
- 60ml (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Line the base and sides of an 18 x 28cm slab pan with baking paper.
- Combine rice and oatbran bubbles, dried fruit, sugar, flour and coconut in a bowl.
- Place the oil and eggs in a jug and use a whisk to combine. Add to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined pan and use the back of a metal spoon to press firmly into edges. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature. Cut into portions to serve.
- This slice is ideal for sustaining energy throughout the day – in the school lunch box or for an afternoon tea treat. Keep for up to 3 days in an airtight container (it will soften slightly).
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)