Recipe: Wheat-free sago plum pudding
- Melted butter, for greasing
- 250ml (1 cup) milk or soy drink
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 90g butter, cubed
- 50g (1/4 cup) sago
- 1 tbs rum or brandy
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbs milk or soy drink, extra
- 120g (1 cup, firmly packed) fresh gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 165g (1 cup) mixed dried fruit
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Brush a 1.25 litre (5 cup) pudding basin with the melted butter to lightly grease.
- Bring milk or soy drink just to the boil in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add the sugar, butter, sago, rum or brandy, vanilla essence and spice. Mix well, cover and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine bicarbonate of soda and extra milk or soy drink in a cup and stir until bicarbonate of soda dissolves. Add to the sago mixture and mix well.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and dried fruit in a medium bowl. Add the sago mixture and egg, and mix well. Spoon the mixture into the greased pudding basin and smooth the surface.
- Cut a piece of non-stick baking paper and a piece of foil large enough to cover the top of the basin and overhang the side. Place the foil on top of the paper and make a pleat in the centre. Place over the pudding basin, foil-side up, and tie firmly with unwaxed white string to secure.
- Meanwhile, place an upturned saucer on the base of a large saucepan. Quarter fill with water and bring to the boil over high heat. Add the pudding to the pan, ensuring the water comes about 2/3 up the side of the basin. Reduce heat to medium-high, cover and boil, replenishing the water as needed, for 2 hours or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the pudding comes out clean.nutritional information per serving: 5.5g protein, 16g fat, 53g carbohydrate, 2.5g dietary fibre, 1,535kJ (365 Cals).
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)