Recipe: Banana muffins with passionfruit glace icing
- 1 3/4 cups (210g) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) gluten-free all-purpose fl our
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125g chilled butter, chopped
- 1 cup (250ml) ripe mashed banana
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup (125ml) lactose-free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Glace icing – 1 cup (80g) gluten-free icing sugar mixture
- 1 1/2 tbs passionfuit pulp
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line 12 x 1/3 cup (80ml) capacity muffin pans with patty cases. Alternatively, line 6 x 3/4 cup (185ml) capacity muffin pans with Texan patty cases.
- Sift the self-raising flour and all-purpose flour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the sugar, xanthan gum and bicarbonate of soda and stir to combine. Add the butter and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture. Add the mashed banana, eggs, milk and vanilla essence and use a wooden spoon to stir until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture evenly among the prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, sift icing sugar into a small bowl and add the passionfruit pulp. Stir to combine. Drizzle over the muffins and put aside to set.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)