Recipe: Black Forest Cake
- 100g good-quality dark chocolate
- 125g Nuttelex spread
- 1 cup (250ml) hot water
- 1 1/4 cups (250g) brown sugar
- 1 cup (120g) gluten-free self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) rice flour
- 1/4 cup (25g) gluten-free cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (60g) almond meal
- 1/4 cup (16g) baby rice cereal (such as Farex)
- 3 eggs 680g jar pitted morello cherries
- 1/4 cup (60ml) kirsch (see note)
- 600ml thickened cream, whipped
- 40g dark chocolate, extra, grated
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base of a round 22cm springform pan.
- Combine the chocolate, Nuttelex spread and hot water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until chocolate and Nuttelex melt. Remove from heat.
- Add sugar and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Add the self-raising and rice flours, cocoa powder, almond meal and rice cereal, and stir to combine. Set aside to cool.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the eggs in a large bowl for 5 minutes or until thick and pale.
- Fold eggs through chocolate mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour or until cake is cooked when tested with a skewer. Allow cake to cool in the pan. Drain cherries, reserving 2/3 cup (160ml) of syrup.
- Add kirsch to syrup and set aside. Use a large, serrated knife to split the cake into 3 layers. Place one layer on a serving plate and brush with a little liqueur mixture.
- Spread with one-third of the cream and top with one-third of the cherries. Continue layering with remaining cake, liqueur mixture, cream and cherries.
- Sprinkle with grated chocolate. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)