Recipe: Butterscotch Pinwheels
- Melted butter, to grease
- 3 cups (450g) Ogran gluten-free self-raising flour
- 3 tsp baking powder (gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup (60g) caster sugar
- 100g butter, chilled, cubed
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (100g) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup (85g) Lucky walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (45g) currants
- 30g butter, extra, melted
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a 20cm (base) round cake pan with non-stick baking paper. Combine the flour, baking powder and sugar.
- Use your fingertips to rub in the butter until the mixture forms breadcrumbs. Mix in the milk until mixture comes together. Knead on a floured surface until smooth. Use a floured rolling pin to roll into a 25 x 30cm rectangle.
- Combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, walnuts and currants in a bowl. Brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle with about 3/4 of the walnut mixture. Roll up firmly from a long side. Trim the ends.
- Cut into 2cm thick slices. Arrange the slices, cut-side up, side by side in the lined pan.
- Brush with the remaining butter and sprinkle with the remaining walnut mixture. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden.
- Turn onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)