Recipe: Duck breast with raspberry vinegar (gluten-free)
- 4 duck breasts
- 90ml raspberry vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- 2 tbs raspberry jam or redcurrant jelly
- 45g unsalted butter, chilled, chopped
- 150g baby salad leaves (mesclun)
- Parsley sprigs, to garnish
- 150g fresh raspberries (or frozen, defrosted)
- Score duck skin 3 or 4 times with a knife, then season. Heat a frypan over medium heat, place duck skin-side down and cook for 6 minutes until skin is crisp and fat has rendered. Turn over, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes. Remove, cover loosely with foil and set aside to rest.
- Drain fat from pan (use it to pan-fry diced potatoes if desired). Return pan to high heat, add vinegar and reduce to about 1 tablespoon. Add garlic, tomato paste and wine and cook for 2-3 minutes until reduced by half. Add jam, cook for 1 minute, then whisk in butter a piece at a time. Season to taste.
- Divide leaves between plates. Slice duck, then place on salad. Strain sauce over top. Garnish with parsley and scatter with raspberries.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)