Recipe: Free-form corn, cauliflower & chicken pies
- 225g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 110g butter, at room temperature, cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- 2-3 tbs cold water
- Melted butter, to grease
- 400g (about 1/4) cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 4 green shallots, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 125g can corn kernels, drained
- 1 125g can creamed corn
- 200g cooked chicken, shredded
- 35g (1/3 cup) finely grated parmesan
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp poppy seeds
- Sift flour into a medium bowl. Use your fingertips to
rub in butter until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Use a round-bladed knife in a cutting motion to mix in the egg and enough cold water to bring mixture together.
- Turn the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest. Preheat oven to 200°C. Brush a large baking tray with melted butter. Meanwhile, combine cauliflower, green shallots, corn kernels, creamed corn, chicken, parmesan and eggs in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn pastry onto lightly floured surface and divide into 4 portions. Use a floured rolling pin to roll each portion into a 20cm disc, about 2mm thick. Divide filling among centres of pastry discs. Fold in edge of each pastry disc to partially enclose filling, leaving centres of pies open.
- Press pastry edges to secure. Place on greased tray and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and cooked through. Set aside on the tray for 5 minutes to cool before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)