Recipe: Free-form kiwi and orange curd tart
- 1 sheet ready-rolled butter puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 kiwi fruit
- 4 large eggs
- 4 oranges, zested, juiced
- 350g caster sugar
- 225g unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbs cornflour
- To make the orange curd, lightly whisk the eggs in a medium saucepan until pale. Add the orange zest and juice, caster sugar, butter and cornflour.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and whisk the mixture continuously for about 7-8 minutes until thickened. Reduce the heat to low and let the curd gently simmer for a further 2-3 minutes, still continuing to whisk. Remove the orange curd from the heat and set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Use a 22cm plate to measure and cut a circle from the pastry. Place the pastry on a lightly greased baking tray, then prick the top all over with a fork. Brush with egg and bake for 20 minutes until puffed and golden. Remove from oven and set aside to cool completely.
- Just before serving, spread the pastry with 1 generous cup of the orange curd. Peel and slice the kiwi fruit into thin rounds. Place on the curd, overlapping each slice. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)