Recipe: Free-radical scavenger: soya & vegetable patties with roast pumpkin salsa
- 420g Jap pumpkin, peeled, deseeded, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 80ml (1/3 cup) water
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 300g cans soya beans, rinsed, drained well
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 105g (1 1/2 cups) breadcrumbs made from day-old bread
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tbs almond meal
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 300g green beans, topped
- 2 bunches English spinach, stems trimmed, washed
- 1 tbs olive oil, extra
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice, to serve
- Crusty wholemeal bread and lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. To make the pumpkin salsa, line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place pumpkin, oil, ginger and cumin seeds in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper, and toss until well combined. Spread the mixture over the lined tray and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until pumpkin is light golden on the edges and just tender.
- Meanwhile, place the water and onion in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook, covered, stirring often, for 6 minutes or until onion is soft. Drain.
- Place the onion, soya beans and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the beans are just mashed. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, carrot, coriander, almond meal, ground coriander and egg. Season well with salt and pepper. Use your hand to mix until well combined. Shape the mixture evenly into 6 patties about 8cm in diameter. Place on a tray and set aside.
- Add beans to a large saucepan of boiling water and cook for 3 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Use tongs to transfer to a colander. Add the spinach leaves to the same large saucepan of boiling water and cook for 30 seconds or until it just wilts. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat the extra oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-low heat. Add patties and cook for 2-4 minutes each side or until browned.
- Divide the spinach among serving plates and top with the pumpkin salsa and then the patties. Drizzle with the lemon juice and serve immediately with the crusty bread and lemon wedges.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)