Recipe: Gluten-free Persian orange and almond cake
- 2 oranges
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (315g) caster sugar
- 3 cups (300g) almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- Mascarpone, to serve
- Orange blossom syrup
- 1 orange
- 1/2 cup (100g) caster sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) water
- 1 tsp orange blossom water
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease a 20cm round springform pan and line the base with baking paper.
- Place oranges in a large saucepan; cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes. Drain. Return to pan and cover with fresh cold water. Bring to the boil. Cook for a further 15 minutes. Drain and repeat once more or until very tender. Drain. Coarsely chop and discard any pips.
- Place orange in a food processor; process until smooth. Use an electric mixer to whisk eggs and sugar until thick and pale. Add orange, almond meal, baking powder, cinnamon and cardamom; gently fold until just combined. Spoon into prepared pan; smooth the surface. Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Set aside in pan to cool completely.
- To make syrup, use a zester to remove rind from orange. Juice orange. Place the juice, sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and syrup thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Add orange blossom water and zest. Set aside to cool.
- Drizzle the cake with syrup. Cut into wedges and serve with mascarpone.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)