Recipe: Lamb stir-fry with coconut rice (gluten-free)
- 2 tbs tamari
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp arrowroot
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
- 350g lamb backstrap, thinly sliced
- 3cm piece ginger, cut into thin strips
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 175g snow peas, ends trimmed, halved diagonally
- Thinly sliced spring onions, to garnish
- Coconut rice – 200ml coconut cream
- 225g basmati rice
- To make rice, mix cream with 180ml water. Place rice and liquid in a large pan with 1 teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Meanwhile, combine tamari, soda and arrowroot in a small bowl until smooth, then set aside. Heat half the oil in a wok over high heat and cook lamb in batches until browned. Remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil and add ginger, chilli and carrot. Stir-fry for 1 minute, then return lamb to wok with snow peas and tamari mixture, and toss for a further minute. Serve with coconut rice and garnish with spring onions.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)