Recipe: Lemon Snow Eggs
- 1 x 600g ctn 99 per cent fat-free custard (Pauls Trim brand)
- 60ml (1/4 cup) milk
- 1/4 tsp lemon essence (Queen brand)
- 2 egg whites
- 70g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
- Kids task: Combine the custard, milk and lemon essence in a large jug. Place the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl. Use an electric beater to whisk until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar and whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is thick and glossy, and a long trailing peak forms when the beater is lifted. Fill a large deep frying pan with boiling water and bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Divide meringue mixture into 12 equal portions. Use 2 dessertspoons to shape each portion into an egg shape and carefully drop into the simmering water.
- Cook for 2 minutes each side, turning with a slotted spoon, or until just puffed and cooked through. Divide the custard mixture among serving bowls.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer 3 snow eggs to each bowl. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)