Recipe: Poached Dried Figs With Orange Syrup
- 2 oranges
- 12 (about 250g) dried figs
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 x 150g ctns 99 per cent fat-free vanilla creme fromage frais (Fruche brand)
- Use a small sharp knife to cut 2 strips of rind, about 2cm wide and 7cm long, from oranges.
- Remove white pith from rind. Squeeze the oranges.
- Add enough water to the orange juice to make 375ml (1 1/2 cups). Combine orange juice mixture, orange rind and figs in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer figs to serving bowls. Remove orange rind from syrup and discard.
- Add the sugar to the syrup and bring to the boil. Cook, uncovered, for 3-4 minutes or until sugar dissolves and syrup thickens slightly.
- Drizzle the figs with orange syrup and serve with Fruche.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)