Recipe: Quick falafel with cucumber & herb salad (gluten-free)
- 800g canned chickpeas
- 1 tbs tahini paste
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 egg
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying Hummus, to serve
Cucumber & herb salad
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved, sliced
- 1/2 cup whole mint leaves
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Drain chickpeas, reserving 2 tablespoons of the liquid. Place chickpeas, reserved liquid, tahini, parsley, garlic, cumin and egg in a food processor and process until smooth. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Form mixture into 8 flat patties. Half fill a deep-fryer or large heavy-based saucepan with oil and heat to 190°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds when oil is hot enough).
- Deep-fry falafel in two batches, for 2-3 minutes until browned. Drain on paper towel. Place all salad ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine. Serve falafel with the salad and hummus.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)