Recipe: Slow-roasted free-range chicken with Asian flavours and warm roasted pumpkin salad
- 2 tbs kecap manis
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 4 (about 1.4kg) free-range chicken marylands
- 2 small (about 200g) organic brown onions (Absolute Organic brand), halved
- 1 garlic bulb, in unpeeled cloves
- 125ml (1/2 cup) chicken stock or dry white wine
- 800g organic kent pumpkin (Absolute Organic brand), peeled, deseeded, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 x 80g pkt baby rocket leaves
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Combine the kecap manis and Chinese five spice in a small bowl. Brush half the kecap-manis mixture over the chicken to evenly coat. Place the chicken, in a single layer, in the centre of a large roasting pan. Add the onion, garlic cloves and stock or wine and cover tightly with foil. Bake in preheated oven, turning occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Increase oven temperature to 200°C. Remove the foil and arrange the pumpkin around the chicken. Brush the chicken with the remaining kecap-manis mixture and baste the pumpkin with pan juices. Bake, uncovered, basting after 15 minutes, for a further 30 minutes, or until the chicken is brown and the pumpkin is tender. Remove from oven.
- Place the rocket on a serving platter and top with the pumpkin, garlic, onion and chicken. Spoon over the pan juices and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)