Recipe: Steamed Banana Cake
- 2 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
- 750g (about 5) ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1 1/4 cups rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut, toasted, to serve
- Grease and line an 18cm square cake pan. Place coconut into a bowl and cover with cold water. Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve and squeeze out any excess water. Place coconut into a large bowl.
- Add banana, rice flour, sugar, and coconut milk. Stir until well-combined. Spoon into prepared pan and cover tightly with foil.
- Place cake pan into a steamer and sit over a large saucepan of simmering water or sit on a trivet in a wok half-filled with simmering water.
- Do not allow the water to touch the base of the pan. Cover steamer or wok with a lid and steam cake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until cooked.
- Remove cake from steamer. Drain any water that may have accumulated. Allow to cool. Invert onto plate and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Serve with fresh fruit, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)