Recipe: Steamed Pudding With Butterscotch Sauce
- Melted butter, to grease
- 100g reduced-fat dairy spread
- 200g (1 cup, firmly packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 190g (1 1/4 cups) self-raising flour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) fat-free milk
- 60ml (1/4 cup) thickened cream
- 4 scoops light & creamy
- 97 per cent fat-free vanilla ice-cream
- Grease four 200ml-capacity ovenproof ramekins with butter. Use an electric beater to beat 75g of the dairy spread and 100g (1/2 cup) of the sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy.
- Add the egg and beat until just combined. Add the flour and milk, and beat until just combined. Spoon mixture among ramekins.
- Cut four 15cm square pieces of non-stick baking paper. Secure over ramekins with rubber bands and place in a saucepan.
- Add enough boiling water to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into pudding centres comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining spread and sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until sugar dissolves.
- Add the cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Turn puddings onto plates.
- Drizzle with butterscotch sauce and serve with ice-cream.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)