- 300g French vanilla Fruche
- 200g low-fat fresh ricotta 1 egg 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) boiling water
- 2 tsp instant espresso coffee
- 1 1/2 tbs marsala
- 3 tsp cocoa powder, to dust
- Gluten-free sponge cake
- Melted butter, to grease
- 3 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 140g (2/3 cup) caster sugar
- 150g (1 cup) gluten-free all-purpose flour mix 2 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 60ml (1/4 cup) reduced-fat milk or light soy milk
- To make the gluten-free sponge cake, preheat oven to 180°C. Brush 2 shallow, round 18cm (base measurement) cake pans with melted butter to lightly grease. Line bases of pans with non-stick baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tbs at a time, whisking between each addition until sugar dissolves. Continue whisking for 1 minute or until mixture is thick and glossy. Add the egg yolks and whisk until just combined. Sift the combined flour mix and baking powder into the egg mixture. Pour the milk down the side of the bowl and use a large metal spoon to fold until just combined.
- Spoon mixture evenly among prepared pans and smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean. Remove from oven. Turn onto a wire rack and set aside for 15 minutes or until cooled to room temperature.
- Use a clean electric beater to beat the Fruche, ricotta, egg and sugar in a medium bowl until combined and smooth. Combine the water and coffee in a jug. Stir in the marsala.
- Cut 1 sponge cake into 1.5cm-thick slices. Cover the base of a 11 x 21cm (base measurement) glass or ceramic loaf dish with half the sponge slices. Brush with half the coffee mixture. Top with half the ricotta mixture and smooth the surface with a spoon. Repeat with the remaining sponge slices, coffee mixture and ricotta mixture. Dust with cocoa powder.
- Cover the tiramisu with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 4 hours to chill and develop the flavours. Spoon tiramisu among serving bowls and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)