Recipe: Vanilla cupcakes
- 3 1/4 cups gluten-free self-raising flour
- 2 cups caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free soy milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Frosting – 150g Nuttelex margarine spread 250g pure icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- Pink, blue and green food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Line two 12-hole, 1/3 cup-capacity muffin pans with paper cases.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in centre. Place soy milk in a jug. Add oil, followed by vinegar. Using a fork, lightly whisk until just combined. Pour mixture into well. Using a wooden spoon, stir twice to combine. Using an electric mixer, beat for 2 minutes. Add vanilla. Beat for 1 minute or until pale and creamy.
- Spoon 2 rounded tablespoons mixture into each case. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of 1 cake comes out clean. Stand in pan for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Make frosting Using an electric mixer, beat spread and sugar until combined. Add vanilla and water. Beat for 3 minutes or until creamy. Divide mixture between 3 bowls. Tint each with food colouring.
- Decorate cake tops with frosting (see note). Serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)