Recipe: Chocolate sponge squares
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 2 x 150g tubs 99% fat-free vanilla Fruche
- 1 cup mixed frozen berries, partially thawed
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line base and sides of a 3cm deep, 26cm x 33cm (base) Swiss roll pan with baking paper. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar until pale and thick. Combine cocoa powder and hot water in a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Add to egg mixture. Stir gently to combine. Sift flour twice onto a sheet of baking paper. Sift flour again over chocolate mixture. Fold in flour. Spread batter into prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand cake in pan for 5 minutes. Turn onto a clean tea towel. Set aside to cool.
- Combine Fruche and berries in a bowl. Refrigerate until required. Cut cake in half lengthways. Spread Fruche mixture over 1 half of cake. Top with remaining cake. Cut sponge into 4 crossways. Place cakes on plates. Dust each with 2 teaspoons cocoa and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)