Recipe: Jam and cream roulade
- 6 eggs, at room temperature, separated
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup pouring cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- Pure icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 3.5cm deep, 24cm x 35cm (base) Swiss roll pan with baking paper. Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks, lemon rind, 1/2 cup of caster sugar and flour until mixture is thick and pale.
- Wash and dry beaters. In a separate bowl, using a clean electric mixer, beat eggwhites until soft peaks form. Using a large metal spoon, fold one-third of the eggwhites into egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in remaining eggwhites in 2 batches. Pour mixture into pan, tilting pan to spread evenly over base (don’t spread with a spoon as you’ll remove air from mixture).
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes.
- Place a sheet of baking paper onto a flat surface. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of remaining caster sugar. Turn sponge onto baking paper. Starting from 1 short side, roll up to form a log.
- Set aside to cool completely. Using an electric mixer, beat cream, remaining caster sugar and vanilla until thick. Unroll sponge.
- Remove paper. Spread jam over sponge. Top with whipped cream. Re-roll sponge. Dust with icing sugar.
Number of servings (yield): 8
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)