Recipe: Spicy eggplant & chickpea salad with paprika yoghurt
- 1 large (about 650g) eggplant, trimmed, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp paprika Olive oil spray
- 2 x 250g punnets cherry tomatoes
- 130g (1/2 cup) low-fat Greek-style natural yoghurt
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 6 shallots, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 long fresh green chilli, seeded, thinly sliced
- 400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Line a large baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the eggplant, cumin and 2 teaspoons of the paprika in a bowl. Toss to coat. Place the eggplant, in a single layer, on the prepared tray. Spray with oil.
- Roast for 25 minutes. Meanwhile, line another baking tray with non-stick baking paper. Place the tomatoes on the tray. Season with pepper and spray with oil. Roast for 12 minutes or until soft. Combine the yoghurt, lemon juice and remaining paprika in a small bowl.
- Combine eggplant, tomatoes, shallot, chilli, chickpeas, coriander and spinach in a bowl. Divide among serving dishes. Serve with the paprika yoghurt.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)