Recipe: Vanilla poached pears
- 4 brown pears, free from blemishes and bruises
- lemon juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 6 cups water vanilla bean, split, seeded
- Peel each pear from stem down. Sprinkle each pear with lemon juice to avoid browning while peeling the remaining pears.
- Place 2 cups sugar and 6 cups water in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until sugar has dissolved. Increase heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add pears and a split, seeded vanilla bean. Allow the pears to simmer, covered with a square of baking paper, in the liquid for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Turn occasionally to ensure even cooking. Serve pear warm or cooled with a little poaching liquid.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)