Recipe: Warm strawberry scrolls
- 200g strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 3 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1/2 lemon, rind finely grated
- 3/4 cup self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure icing sugar, to serve
- 1/3 cup 99% fat-free pouring custard, to serve
- Place strawberries in a bowl. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons of caster sugar and all the lemon rind over strawberries. Preheat oven to 230°C. Lightly grease four 3/4-cup capacity (180ml) non-stick Texas muffin holes. Sift flour and remaining caster sugar into a small bowl.
- Add buttermilk. Using a knife, mix to form a soft dough (add a little water if necessary.) Turn dough onto a lightly-floured surface. Knead lightly until smooth. Roll out to a 20cm square. Place three-quarters of the strawberries in a single layer over the dough, leaving a 2cm border at the top and bottom. Roll up dough to form a log. Using a sharp knife, cut log into 4 even slices. Place 1 scroll in each muffin hole.
- Press down lightly. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden. Stand scrolls for 5 minutes in pan. Place warm scrolls on a serving plate. Spoon over remaining strawberries with juice. Sift over icing sugar. Serve with custard.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)