Recipe: Almond & orange bread
- Melted butter, for greasing
- 3 free-range egg whites, at room temperature
- 115g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 100g almond kernels
- 1 tbs finely grated orange rind
- 115g (3/4 cup) plain flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Brush a 9 x 22cm bar pan with melted butter to grease. Line the base and sides with non-stick baking paper, allowing it to overhang the sides. Use clean electric beaters to whisk the egg whites in a large, clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Add the sugar 1 tbs at a time, whisking after each addition until the sugar dissolves. Use a large metal spoon to fold in the almonds and orange rind. Sift the flour over the egg white mixture and use a large metal spoon to gently fold in until combined.
- Spoon into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until firm and dry. Remove from the pan, discard the paper and transfer to a wire rack for 1 Â½ hours to cool. Preheat oven to 140°C. Use a serrated knife (electric knives work especially well) to cut the loaf into slices about 5mm thick. Spread the slices over 2 baking trays in a single layer. Bake in preheated oven, swapping the trays halfway through cooking, for 30 minutes or until the slices are dry and crisp. Cool on the trays, then store in a clean, dry airtight container.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)