Recipe: Berry souffle omelette
- 120g mixed fresh or thawed frozen berries (like raspberries, strawberries, blackberries and/or boysenberries)
- 1 tbs berry jam
- 2 free-range eggs, separated
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 1 tsp vanilla essence 10g (2 tsp) butter
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Place the berries and jam in a 20cm omelette pan or non-stick frying pan and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until the jam has melted and the berries are heated through.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. Wipe the pan out with paper towel to clean. Preheat grill on high.
- Use a hand whisk to whisk together the egg yolks, 1 tbs of the caster sugar, orange rind and vanilla essence in a medium mixing bowl until thick and pale.
- Use a clean hand whisk to whisk the egg whites and remaining caster sugar in a separate clean medium mixing bowl until soft peaks form.
- Use a large metal spoon or a spatula to fold the egg whites through the egg yolk mixture until just combined. Heat the butter in the omelette pan over medium-high heat until sizzling.
- Reduce heat to low, add the omelette mixture, smooth the surface and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown underneath and almost set.
- Remove the pan from the heat and place under preheated grill for 1- 1 1/2 minutes or until lightly browned, set on top and firm to the touch.
- Spoon the berry mixture down the centre of the omelette and quickly use a fork or a spatula to fold 1/3 of the omelette towards the centre over filling.
- Slide omelette onto a warmed plate while folding opposite side of the omelette under to enclose filling.
- Cut the omelette in 1/2 and serve immediately dusted with icing sugar.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)