Recipe: Bircher muesli
- 1 gala apple, unpeeled, quartered, core removed
- 1 cup (90g) rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (125ml) apple juice
- 1/2 cup (130g) fat-free natural yoghurt, plus extra to serve
- Large pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup (25g) flaked almonds
- 1/4 cup (30g) walnuts
- 2 tbs pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Blueberries, to serve
- Coarsely grate the apple. Mix the grated apple, rolled oats, apple juice, yoghurt and cinnamon in a bowl until well combined. Cover and place in the fridge for 1 hour or overnight.
- Combine the flaked almonds, walnuts and pepitas in a small bowl.
- Stir half the nut mixture through the muesli with 1/2 cup of yoghurt if the muesli has been soaking overnight. (If the muesli has been soaking for 1 hour, add a little extra yoghurt only as desired.) Top with the remaining nut mixture and blueberries to serve.
- Tip: Adapt this recipe to suit your tastes or whatever you have lurking in the pantry. Replace the apple juice with orange or pineapple juice, milk or soy milk for a non-dairy alternative. Add some toasted shredded coconut, diced dried apricot or currants.
Number of servings (yield): 2
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)