Recipe: Buckwheat pasta with caramelised onion and peas
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 large red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbs chopped sage leaves
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 350g gluten-free buckwheat spaghetti (see note)
- 2 cups (240g) frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tbs grated parmesan
- Heat the oil in a frypan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and sage, season, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until the onion is golden brown. Add the balsamic and cook for a further 5 minutes or until caramelised.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water according to the packet instructions, adding the peas for the final 3 minutes of cooking time, until the pasta is al dente and peas are tender.
- Drain the pasta and peas and return to the pan. Add the caramelised onion (or onion marmalade if using) and toss to combine. Serve topped with parmesan.
- To speed up this dish, use a jar of ready-made onion marmalade (from delis and gourmet shops).
- Gluten-free buckwheat spaghetti is from selected supermarkets and health food shops. Substitute wholemeal wheat pasta as a non-gluten-free alternative.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: Italian