Recipe: Caesar salad
- 1 small baguette, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 free-range eggs
- 2 cos lettuce, outer leaves discarded, leaves separated, rinsed, dried
- 1 cup Caesar salad dressing (see related recipe)
- 6 anchovy fillets, rinsed, halved lengthways
- 80g parmesan cheese, shaved
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place bread slices on a large oven tray. Brush both sides with oil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Set aside to cool.
- Place eggs in a saucepan. Cover with cold water. Place over medium heat. Bring to the boil, stirring often to create a whirlpool (to centre yolks). Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes. Drain. Refresh in cold water. Peel and cut eggs into 8 wedges.
- Arrange lettuce in a large serving bowl. Pour 1/3 cup dressing over lettuce and turn to coat. Top with croutons, anchovies and egg. Drizzle with remaining dressing and top with parmesan. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve.
Number of servings (yield): 6
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)