Recipe: Caramelised apples with sweet tortillas
- 25g butter
- 2 (about 150g each) jonathan apples, cored, thinly sliced
- 80ml (1/3 cup) cold water
- 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
- 2 fajita tortillas (Old El Paso brand), cut into quarters
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 4 x 50g scoops light & creamy 97 per cent
- fat-free vanilla ice-cream (Peters brand)
- Melt the butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the apple slices and cook, turning occasionally, for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Add the water and half the sugar and cook, turning occasionally, for 7-8 minutes or until caramelised and golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Kids’ task: Brush tortilla wedges with oil. Place remaining sugar on a plate. Press tortilla wedges into the sugar to coat. Heat a medium non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook tortilla wedges for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Place a tortilla wedge on each serving plate. Top with a scoop of ice-cream and some caramelised apple. Repeat with the remaining tortilla wedges and apple. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)