Recipe: Carrot & nutmeg puree
- 40g (2 tbs) dairy-free margarine
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2.25kg carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 325ml (1 1/4 cups) chicken broth
- Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
- Extra ground nutmeg, to serve
- Heat the margarine and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrots, sugar and nutmeg. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 the broth, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add the remaining broth, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 15 minutes or until tender.
- Place 1/2 the carrot mixture in a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl. Repeat with remaining mixture. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with extra nutmeg.
- This recipe can be made up to 1 day ahead. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge. Reheat before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)