Recipe: Cauliflower & gruyere bakes
- 1/2 (about 550g) cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 leek, pale section only, thinly sliced, washed, dried
- 100g gruyere, coarsely grated
- 1 tbs plain flour
- 250ml (1 cup) fat-free milk
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tbs dried (packaged) breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Cook cauliflower in a large saucepan of salted boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the leek 1 minute before the end of cooking. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the gruyere and flour in a small saucepan. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Spoon the cauliflower and leek mixture among four 250ml (1 cup) capacity ovenproof dishes. Season with salt and pepper. Pour over the gruyere sauce and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)