Recipe: Chicken noodle soup
- 1 whole free range chicken (about 1.6kg)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5cm piece ginger, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 stalks parsley
- 400g pkt Fresh veggie mix
- 250g short cut angel hair pasta
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- Rinse the chicken thoroughly and remove any excess fat. Place into a large saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, skimming off any scum that floats on the surface. Add vegetables and herbs, reduce heat and simmer gently for 1 hour. Remove chicken and set aside to cool. Strain stock and discard vegetables. Chill stock and when cold remove any fat from surface.
- Remove and discard skin and bones from chicken. Shred meat. Return stock to a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the veggie mix and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pasta and shredded chicken and cook for a further 5 minutes until pasta is just cooked. Season well with salt and pepper. Stir in parsley and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)