Recipe: Chicken stock
- Large (1.6kg) free-range chicken, rinsed
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 leek (white part only), chopped
- 3 celery stalks, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, bruised with side of a knife
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- Put ingredients in a stockpot with 1 tbs sea salt and cover with water. Cover with a lid, then bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
- Turn chicken. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer uncovered, skimming foam from surface, for 11/2 hours or until meat falls from bone.
- Remove chicken. Strain stock through a muslin-lined sieve.
- Discard solids.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: brunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)