Recipe: Coddled Eggs With Smoked Trout And Herbs
- 10g butter, plus extra, for greasing
- 120ml creme fraiche or thick cream
- 250g smoked trout fillets, flaked into
- 3-4cm pieces
- 6 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tbs chopped dill
- 1 tbs finely chopped chives Toast soldiers, to serve
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Butter 6, shallow 1-cup capacity ovenproof dishes then place in a large roasting pan. Spoon 1 tbs cream into each dish then top with trout pieces.
- Carefully break an egg over trout in each dish. Scatter with herbs and top each with a small piece of butter. Pour water into roasting pan until it comes one-third of the way up sides of dishes.
- Cover with foil and bake for 12 minutes, or until whites are set but yolks are still runny. Serve with toast.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)