Recipe: Individual beef Wellingtons
- 4 (about 100g each) beef eye fillet steaks
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 4 sheets filo pastry (Antoniou brand)
- 2 tsp reduced-fat dairy spread (Devondale Light brand), melted
- 80g 97 per cent fat-free chicken pate with mushrooms & port
- 4 button mushrooms
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Mixed salad leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Brush steaks evenly with oil. Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add steaks and cook for 30 seconds each side or until brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Place the filo on a clean work surface. Cover with a dry tea towel, then a damp tea towel (this will prevent it drying out). Brush half of 1 filo sheet very lightly with melted dairy spread and fold in half crossways. Place a steak in the centre and spread with one-quarter of the pate. Thinly slice 1 mushroom and arrange on top of the steak. Fold long edges of the pastry over to enclose filling. Brush lightly with dairy spread.
- Starting from the short edge closest to you, roll up to enclose filling. Place, seam-side down, on a baking tray and brush with a little dairy spread. Season with pepper. Repeat with remaining pastry, dairy spread, steaks, pate and mushrooms.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes or until pastry is golden and steak is medium-rare or cooked to your liking. Divide the beef Wellingtons among serving plates. Serve immediately with mixed salad leaves, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dinner
Culinary tradition: USA (General)