Recipe: Pan-fried chicken on lentils with pesto
- 1 cup (200g) Puy-style whole green lentils
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 x 180g free-range chicken breast fillets with skin
- 4 large eschalots, thinly sliced
- 2 roasted red capsicums (about 170g each), finely chopped
- 2 tbs finely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup good-quality basil pesto
- Cook lentils in a pan of boiling water for 12-14 minutes until just tender, then drain. Rinse under cold water to cool, then drain. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frypan over medium heat and cook chicken, skin-side down, for 4 minutes. Turn and cook for a further 4 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove pan from heat, cover and rest the chicken for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a small frypan over medium-low heat, add eschalots and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened but not coloured. Add lentils and capsicum and warm through. Remove pan from heat and stir in parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the lentil mixture among serving plates. Thickly slice the chicken and place on top of lentils, spoon over the pesto and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: lunch
Culinary tradition: USA (General)