Recipe: Poached Chicken, Googy Egg And Asparagus Salad
- 1/2 (450g) loaf Italian-style bread, crusts removed, torn into
- 2cm pieces
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 40g parmesan, finely grated
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed
- 2 small skinless chicken breasts, cut into
- 3 lengthways
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- 4 (59g each) fresh organic free-range eggs Juice of
- 1 lemon
- 16 small inner cos lettuce leaves (about 1/2 large cos)
- Preheat oven to 190°C fan-forced (210°C conventional). Place bread, 2 tbs oil and 1/2 the parmesan in a roasting pan. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine.
- Bake in oven, turning occasionally, for 20 minutes or until croutons are golden. Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil over medium heat. Cook asparagus for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Remove and refresh under cold water, leaving cooking water gently simmering (you’ll need it for the chicken and eggs). Add chicken to water and cook for 6 minutes. Remove and set aside to cool slightly, then tear into large pieces. Add vinegar to simmering water.
- Break an egg into a cup. Stir water, then slip egg into water and cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Using a spoon, transfer egg to a bowl of cold water, then repeat with remaining eggs. Combine asparagus, chicken, lemon juice, and remaining oil and parmesan in a bowl. Season to taste.
- Divide cos among plates, top with chicken salad, croutons and a drained poached egg. Serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)