Recipe: Poached egg, rocket and parmesan salad
- 1 anchovy fillet, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs white vinegar
- 4 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 1 bunch rocket, trimmed
- 40g parmesan, shaved
- Char-grilled sourdough bread, to serve
- Place the anchovy in a mortar and gently pound with a pestle until a paste forms. Add the mustard and lemon juice and stir to combine. Add the oil and whisk until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add vinegar to a deep frying pan filled with water and bring to the boil over high heat. Crack an egg into a small cup. Use a large spoon to stir the water to create a whirlpool. Carefully slip the egg into the centre of the whirlpool and poach for 1-2 minutes for a soft egg, or until cooked to your liking. Remove and set aside on a plate. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Place the rocket and half the parmesan in a large bowl and drizzle with half the dressing. Gently toss to combine. Place the salad among serving bowls. Top with a poached egg and sprinkle with remaining parmesan. Drizzle with remaining dressing. Serve immediately with char-grilled sourdough, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)