Recipe: Rhubarb and coconut slice
- 150g butter, softened
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup gluten-free plain flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup rice flour
- 2 bunches rhubarb, trimmed, washed, cut into 3cm lengths
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line a 3.5cm deep, 16cm x 26cm (base) lamington pan. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1/3 cup of sugar until well combined. Add plain and rice flour. Mix well. Using floured fingertips, press mixture evenly into pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Cool. Increase oven temperature to 170°C. Place rhubarb, remaining sugar and water into a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir for 5 minutes, or until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a simmer. Cover.
- Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until tender. Cool for 30 minutes. Spoon over base. Make topping: Combine all ingredients. Spoon over rhubarb. Press down. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until light golden. Cool in pan. Cut into slices.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)