Recipe: Spiced orange pickle
- 1.4kg (about 4 large) oranges
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g caster sugar
- 21/2 tbs golden syrup
- 185ml (3/4 cup) white wine vinegar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) fresh orange juice
- 6 slices fresh ginger
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- Place the oranges and salt in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Place a plate over the oranges to keep them submerged. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook for 40 minutes or until the oranges are tender. Drain. Set aside to cool. Cut the oranges in half then thinly slice crossways.
- Stir the sugar, golden syrup, vinegar, orange juice, ginger, peppercorns, cinnamon stick and cloves in a large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the orange. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes. Transfer to sterilised jars and seal. Store in a cool, dark place or the fridge for at least 3 weeks before opening to develop the flavours.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)