Recipe: Upside-Down Banana And Hazelnut Cake
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 medium bananas, thinly sliced
- 185g butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups hazelnut meal (ground hazelnuts)
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced. Grease a 22cm (base) round cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Sprinkle base with 2 tablespoons sugar. Arrange banana over sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, vanilla and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until combined.
- Stir in hazelnut meal, then flour. Mix until just combined. Spread mixture over banana slices.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Carefully turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve.
Number of servings (yield): 12
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)