Recipe: Berry cakes
- 150g ground almonds (almond meal)
- 1 1/4 cups pure icing sugar, sifted
- 3/4 cup gluten-free plain flour
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- 5 eggwhites, at room temperature
- 150g butter, melted, cooled
- 150g punnet blueberries or raspberries
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease a 12 x 1/3-cup capacity muffin pan or an 8 x 1/2-cup capacity mini loaf pan. Place almonds, sugar, flour and lemon rind into a bowl. Mix well to combine. In a separate bowl, whisk eggwhites with a fork until frothy. Add to flour mixture. Mix until just combined. Stir in melted butter. Gently fold through berries.
- Spoon mixture into holes so they are three-quarters full. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)