Recipe: Chickpea & couscous filled capsicum
- 2 large (600g) red capsicums, halved, deseeded
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 140g (2/3 cup) couscous
- 310ml (1 1/4 cups) boiling water
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 300g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 85g (1/2 cup) chopped dried pitted dates
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup loosely packed chopped fresh continental parsley
- 1 200g container natural set yoghurt, 99.8% fat free
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Brush capsicums with 1 tsp of oil. Place, cut-side up, in roasting pan lined with foil. Roast for 10 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, place couscous in a heatproof bowl and pour over boiling water, stirring with a fork. Cover, set aside for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with fork. Heat remaining oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 5-6 minutes or until brown. Reduce heat to medium, add couscous, chickpeas, dates, ginger, pepper and salt. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until combined. Add parsley. Remove capsicum from oven. Spoon couscous mixture into each half.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until brown. Serve with the yoghurt.
Number of servings (yield): 3
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)