Recipe: Coral trout with asian-style cabbage, fennel and bacon
- 4 x 200g coral trout or snapper fillets with skin
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs gluten-free tamari (see note)
- 3 rindless bacon rashers, fat trimmed, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 baby fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/4 savoy cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp honey
- Spring onion, sliced on an angle, to serve Preheat oven to 180°C. Score the fish skin to prevent fish from curling, then season. Heat 1 tbs of the oil in a non-stick frypan over medium-high heat. Cook fish, skinside down, for 3-4 minutes until crisp. Place skin-side up on a lightly oiled baking tray and drizzle with 1 tbs tamari. Bake for 5 minutes or until just cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tbs oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Cook bacon and fennel for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until bacon starts to crisp. Add cabbage and cumin and cook for 2-3 minutes until cabbage starts to wilt. Add honey and remaining tamari and stir to combine.
- Divide cabbage among plates, top with fish and drizzle with any pan juices. Garnish with spring onion and serve immediately.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: breakfast
Culinary tradition: USA (General)