Recipe: Lemon curd pavlova
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 40g butter, chopped
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (25g) flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Line a baking tray with nonstick baking paper. Use an electric beater to beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 3/4 cup of the sugar and beat until the mixture is thick and glossy and the sugar has dissolved. Spoon onto the baking tray and spread out to a 15cm round.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 120°C and bake a further 45 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave in the oven to cool completely. Meanwhile, place the egg yolks, butter, lemon rind, lemon juice and remaining sugar into a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Stir constantly for about 10 minutes, until thickened.
- Transfer to a separate bowl and cool completely. Spread the lemon curd over the top of the pavlova, then scatter almonds over the top.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)