Recipe: Lemon tart
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup gluten-free cornflour
- 1/2 cup soy flour 150g butter, chilled, chopped
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons chilled water
- 3/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 large lemons, juiced, rind grated
- 4 eggs, at room temperature pure icing sugar, shredded lemon rind and double cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 3cm deep, 23cm (base) fluted tart pan. Sift flours 3 times. Process flours, butter and half the sugar in a food processor until mixture resembles crumbs.
- Add water and process until mixture comes together. Turn dough onto a lightly cornfloured surface. Knead gently. Shape into a 10cm disc. Wrap in baking paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Roll pastry out between 2 sheets of baking paper until 2mm thick. Shape into a 30cm disc. Use pastry to line base and sides of pan. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Line pastry with baking paper. Two-thirds fill base with uncooked rice. Bake for 10 minutes or until pastry is firm. Remove rice and paper. Bake for 5 minutes or until pastry is light golden. Reduce oven to 160°C. Using an electric mixer, combine mascarpone, 1 tablespoon lemon rind, 2/3 cup lemon juice and remaining sugar.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Pour filling into pastry case. Place tart on a baking tray. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until filling has set. Cool in pan. Dust with icing sugar. Top with lemon rind and serve with cream.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Meal type: dessert
Culinary tradition: USA (General)